Sunday, May 22, 2011

Our Open Door Policy

When I was a teenager--way back in dinosaur days--there were party houses, and the houses you didn't go to (because they weren't party houses).  My parents kept the door to our house open to my friends, and bought us beer.  (My poor parents didn't even drink.)  As I consider it now, though, I think that was because I was in control, not them.  I was big-mouthed, stubborn, rebellious and bold.  They were afraid I would run away if they clamped down too much.  I am not sure if I would have or not.  They figured if my friends and I were in our club basement, we would not be driving around in cars.  I understand their thinking, I would just never do anything like that.  Some of the other parents in our group did the same.  Mostly, though, those parents partied upstairs while the kids were getting looped downstairs.

This is absolutely NOT what I am referring to in the title of this blog!  Our door is open to ALL of our children's friends, no matter how old they are, and even if they are a little annoying.  If the high-schoolers come, I make a huge pot of chili, or something else you can feed an army.  I am always willing to chat, stay up late and be available to their parents if necessary.  If the group is a mix of boys and girls who are spending the night, the rules are very clear:  Girls are upstairs after one a.m. and boys are downstairs--and just to be sure, I sleep on the couch.  I know one morning I will wake up duct taped to the couch with ketchup in my hair and Sharpie marker on my face.  I sincerely hope someone gets a picture!  If the younger kids are here, I make every attempt to enforce a midnight bedtime and check a little after that to make sure everyone is where they belong.

We know our children's friends and embrace them as our own when they are under our care.  We hold very high standards in our home regarding bad language, smoking, drugs and alcohol--the highest standards.  None of those things are tolerated.  We inquire about their future plans and attempt to give wise responses to their questions.  If one of the teens showed up at our door under the influence or in need, we would do what we had to do to remain relational, keep everybody safe, love on that person and maintain our standards.  The word of God is spoken in our home and if you stay over on Saturday, make sure you bring church clothes for Sunday. 

We want our home to be a safe and dependable place where good food and kind words can be found, where everybody has a place and knows where they stand.  So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment